World Health Organization. The world health report 2006 – working together for health. Available at: http://www.who.int/whr/2006/en/.
- Moving towards universal health coverage: lessons from 11 country studies.Lancet. 2016; 387: 811-816
World Health Organization. Health workforce requirements for universal health coverage and the Sustainable Development Goals. Available at: http://www.who.int/hrh/resources/health-observer17/en/.
- Global prevalence of chronic kidney disease–a systematic review and meta-analysis.PLoS One. 2016; 11e0158765
- The contribution of chronic kidney disease to the global burden of major noncommunicable diseases.Kidney Int. 2011; 80: 1258-1270
- The global issue of kidney disease.Lancet. 2013; 382 ([No authors listed]): 101
- IDF diabetes atlas: global estimates of the prevalence of diabetes for 2011 and 2030.Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2011; 94: 311-321
- Association between obesity and kidney disease: A systematic review and meta-analysis.Kidney Int. 2008; 73: 19-33
- Interaction of aging and chronic kidney disease.Semin Nephrol. 2009; 29: 497-503
- Worldwide access to treatment for end-stage kidney disease: a systematic review.Lancet. 2015; 385: 1975-1982
- Nephrologist caseload and hemodialysis patient survival in an urban cohort.J Am Soc Nephrol. 2013; 24: 1678-1687
- The global nephrology workforce: emerging threats and potential solutions!.Clin Kidney J. 2016; 9: 11-22
- Effective CKD care in European countries: challenges and opportunities for health policy.Am J Kidney Dis. 2015; 65: 15-25
- The future nephrology workforce: will there be one?.Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2011; 6: 1501-1506
- Implications of a nephrology workforce shortage for dialysis patient care.Semin Dialysis. 2011; 24: 275-279
- Africa and nephrology: the forgotten continent.Nephron Clin Pract. 2011; 117: C320-C326
- The economics of end-stage renal disease care in Canada: incentives and impact on delivery of care.Int J Health Care Finance Econ. 2007; 7: 149-169
- Addressing the global shortage of nephrologists.Nat Clin Pract Nephrol. 2008; 4: 583
The International Society of Nephrology (ISN). ISN Regions. 2017. Available at: https://www.theisn.org/about-isn/regions. Accessed August 23, 2017.
The World Bank. World Bank Country and Lending Groups – World Bank Data Help Desk. Available at: https://datahelpdesk.worldbank.org/knowledgebase/articles/906519-world-bank-country-and-lending-groups. Accessed August 23, 2017.
World Health Organization. Monitoring the building blocks of health systems: a handbook of indicators and their measurement strategies. Available at: http://www.who.int/healthinfo/systems/monitoring/en/.
- Assessment of global kidney health care status.JAMA. 2017; 317: 1864-1881
- Medical schools in sub-Saharan Africa.Lancet. 2011; 377: 1113-1121
- The metrics of the physician brain drain.New Engl J Med. 2005; 353: 1810-1818
World Health Organization. Health in 2015: from MDGs, millennium development goals to sdgs, sustainable development goals. Available at: http://apps.who.int/medicinedocs/documents/s22230en/s22230en.pdf.
- The role of primary care in the management of the chronic kidney disease population.Adv Chronic Kidney Dis. 2010; 17: 246-253
- Career interest and perceptions of nephrology: a repeated cross-sectional survey of internal medicine residents.PLoS One. 2017; 12e0172167
- Developing a strategic plan for medical specialties in oman.Oman Med J. 2008; 23: 10-14
Association of American Medical Colleges. 2016 physician specialty data report. Available at: https://www.aamc.org/data/workforce/reports/457712/2016-specialty-databook.html.
- Results of the 2014-2015 Canadian Society of Nephrology workforce survey.Can J Kidney Health Dis. 2016; 3: 25
- Substitution of doctors by nurses in primary care.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2005; 2CD001271
- How to bridge the gap in human resources for health.Lancet. 2004; 364: 1451-1456
- Improving global health: measuring the success of capacity building outreach programs: a view from the International Society of Nephrology.Kidney Int Suppl. 2016; 6: 42-51
- Training nephrologists from developing countries: does it have a positive impact?.Kidney Int Suppl. 2012; 2: 275-278
- Nephrology training curriculum and implications for optimal kidney care in the developing world.Clin Nephrol. 2016; 86: 110-113
- Nephrology training in the 21st century: toward outcomes-based education.Am J Kidney Dis. 2010; 56: 132-142
- Role of physician assistants in dialysis units and nephrology.Am J Kidney Dis. 1999; 33: 647-651
- Nephrology workforce shortfall: solutions are needed.Am J Kidney Dis. 1999; 33: 798-800
World Health Organization. Task shifting to tackle health worker shortages - global recommendations and guidelines. Available at: http://www.who.int/healthsystems/task_shifting/en/.
- Global surgical and anaesthetic task shifting: a systematic literature review and survey.Lancet. 2015; 385: 46
- Telenephrology: a novel approach to improve coordinated and collaborative care for chronic kidney disease.Nephrol Dial Transpl. 2013; 28: 972-981
- Improving care coordination between nephrology and primary care: a quality improvement initiative using the renal physicians association toolkit.Am J Kidney Dis. 2015; 65: 67-79
- CKD as a model for improving chronic disease care through electronic health records.Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2015; 10: 1488-1499
- Potential applications of telenephrology to enhance global kidney care.BMJ Global Health. 2017; 2e000292
- Nephrology research–the past, present and future.Nat Rev Nephrol. 2015; 11: 677-687
Bello AK, Johnson DW, Harris D, et al. Global kidney health atlas: design and methods. Kidney Int Suppl, in press.